Do you know what sales cycles are? Are you aware you could be saving almost double, sometimes even triple, your money if you buy specific items at specific times of the year? These savings have nothing to do with where you live or what stores you shop at either. There are actual sales cycles that are generally followed nation wide. These sales cycles are based on the holidays throughout the year, awareness days, as well as the agriculture seasons for produce.
Related: 10 Items to Never Buy At Walmart
Each month has different produce coming out of the fields, holidays coming up or just ending. Depending on the sales cycles there are generally always better times to buy specific items than others. You will almost always spend more money on baking goods during Thanksgiving and Christmas than any other time of the year, simply because that is the demand for those months.
Retailer Sales Cycles
Remember the best way to save the most, for me personally, is to buy when items are on clearance for the end of the season. You can stock up on these items for the following year and spend anywhere from 40-90% less! Here are the sales cycles broken down by month.
- National Oatmeal Month: quick, old-fashioned, rolled, and steel-cut oats, ready to cook oatmeal packets. Need a few ideas for all this oatmeal? I have a great list of oatmeal recipies.
- Diet Foods/Aids: cereal, frozen entrees, meal and granola bars, diet shakes/ drinks, Healthy Choice, South Beach, Lean Cuisine, Special K, Kashi, Smart Start, 100 Calorie Packs, shakes, weight scales, diet cookbooks, exercise equipment & weights
- Super Bowl Sunday: Soda, chips, dips, cheese, sandwich items, crackers, snacks, wings, cut fruit & veggie trays, queso
- Seasonal Produce: oranges, pears, grapefruit, tangerines, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chard, collards, kale, kiwi, avocado, cabbage, spinach
- Clearance: Christmas– decorations toys, lights, stocking stuffers, artificial trees, ornaments, wrapping paper, gift bows, New Year’s party supplies– noise makers, hats, party favors, wines & sparkling juices
- National Canned Food Month: canned fruit, vegetables, pie fillings, soups, meats: tuna, chicken, salmon
- Super Bowl Sunday: Soda pop, chips, dips, cheese, sandwich items, crackers, snacks, wings, cut fruit & veggie trays
- National Hot Breakfast Month: oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, frozen waffles, syrup, waffle & pancake mix, hash browns, bacon, sausage
- Valentine’s: boxed and bar chocolate, lubricants & KY jelly, perfume, cards, stuffed animals, gift sets, wine/ sparkling cider, flower arrangements, candles
- Seasonal Produce: artichoke, asparagus, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chard, collards, grapefruit, kale, oranges, parsnips, pears, potatoes, turnips
- Frozen Food Month: frozen meals and entrees, veggies, side dishes, desserts, juice concentrate
- March Madness: soda pop, chips, dips, cheese, crackers, sandwich items, snacks, wings, cut fruit & veggie trays
- St. Patrick’s Day: decorations, corned beef, cabbage, Irish soda bread
- Clearance: winter clothing, snow shovels, ski and sledding equipment
- Spring/ Easter: Decorations, baskets, candy, ham, eggs and egg dyeing kits, gift sets, dresses, and accessories.
- Seasonal Produce: artichoke, asparagus, avocado, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, grapefruit, grapes, lemon, lime, mushrooms, onions, peas, radish, rhubarb, spinach, strawberries
- Easter: ham, eggs, dyeing kits, stuffed animals, candy, chocolate, baskets, decorations
- Baking supplies: sugar, spices, baking mixes, flour, chocolate chips, refrigerated cookie dough
- Earth Day: natural and organic foods and personal care products, reusable bags and water bottles, Energy Star appliances, CFL and LED lighting
- Spring: gardening equipment and seeds, bird feeders, spring cleaning supplies, allergy medicine
- Seasonal Produce: artichokes, asparagus, avocados, beets, broccoli, cabbages, carrots, grapefruit, mushrooms, onions, peas, rhubarb, strawberries
- Clearance: After Easter sales are the time to stock up on decorations, baskets & grass, egg dyeing kits & stickers
- Cinco De Mayo: salsa, shredded cheese, tortillas, tortilla chips, canned & refried beans, shredded lettuce, pinatas & pinata fillers, frozen Mexican entrees & snacks (taquitos, mini tacos, chimichangas)
- Mother’s Day: bouquets, gift sets, perfume, chocolate, photo frames and crafts, jewelry, candles
- Memorial Day: BBQ sauce, ketchup, condiments, charcoal, salad dressing, potato chips, dips, paper plates, plastic utensils, sandwich fixings
- Summer & Gardening: insect repellent, sunscreen, outdoor furniture, shorts, sun hats, beach toys, bird feeders, lawn mowers, barbecues and grilling utensils, plants, flowers, seeds, watering cans, plant food, soil, weed killers, mulch, compost buckets, water hoses
- Seasonal Produce: artichokes, asparagus, avocado, beets, blackberries, carrots, corn, green beans, onions, peas in the pod, potatoes, raspberries, strawberries
- National Dairy Month: eggs, milk (free milk Catalina, when you buy cereal), ice cream, cheese, butter, yogurt, Cool Whip, in-store dairy coupons or booklets
- Fourth of July Sales start: hot dogs, hamburgers, BBQ sauce, ketchup, condiments, charcoal, salad dressing, potato chips, dips
- Seasonal Produce: apricots, blackberries, blueberries, boysenberries, cherries, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, grapes, honeydews, nectarines, peaches, potatoes, raspberries, red onions, summer squash, strawberries, sweet Vidalia onions, tomatoes, watermelons
- National Ice Cream Month
- 4th of July BBQ Sales: hot dogs, hamburgers, BBQ sauce, ketchup, condiments, charcoal, salad dressing, potato chips, dips
- Back to School Sales begin: crayons, pencils, folders, binders
- Seasonal Produce: Asian pears, Bartlett pears, green beans, blueberries, corn, cucumbers, eggplants, figs, garlic, grapes, nectarines, red onions, Valencia oranges, peaches, sweet bell peppers, plums, potatoes, summer squash, tomatoes, watermelon
- Back to school supplies: erasers, pens, crayons, paper, binders, backpacks, notebooks, markers, note cards, School lunch items: pudding cups, lunch meat, single serve juices, lunchables
- Cleaners: Clorox and Lysol wipes & sprays
- Seasonal Produce: Avocados, beans, berries, cherries, corn on the cob, cucumbers, eggplants, figs, seedless grapes, melons, onions, peaches, pears (Bartlett), peppers (sweet bell), plums, summer squash, tomatillo, and tomatoes
- Clearance: insect repellent, sunscreen, charcoal, swim suits, gardening supplies and seeds, fans, camping gear
- Back to School Sales through Labor Day: pens, pencils, paper (filler & printing), backpacks, erasers, folders, binders, dividers
- Labor Day Sales: restaurants deals, movie theater perks (free popcorn, soda, concession candy), shoe & apparel store weekend passes
- Diabetes awareness: glucose meters, Glucerna cereal, diabetic care– socks, test strips, sugar free products, vitamins, weight scales
- Seasonal Produce: apples, artichokes, beans, cucumbers, eggplant, grapes, onions, pears (Asian & Bartlett), peppers (bell and chili), squash, tomatillo, tomatoes
- Clearance: camping gear, gardening supplies, bug spray, fans & air conditioners, BBQ supplies– grills, charcoal, lighter
- Halloween: candy, costumes & accessories, crafts ( Spider Webs, Candy Hands), foods (Mortified Mummy Dogs)
- Baking sales (mid-October to late December): canned pumpkin, evaporated milk, baking chips, pie crust (mix and ready-made frozen)
- National Seafood Month: fish, shrimp, lobster, crab
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month: promotions & deals featuring participating “pink” products
- Adopt a Shelter-Dog Month: wet & dry dog food, dog toys & chews – (Homemade Dog Treats)
- Seasonal Produce: apples, artichokes, arugula, beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, chard, cranberries, parsnip, pears, pomegranates, potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, winter squash, turnips, yams
- Baking goods: nuts, chocolate chips, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, coconut, cake & brownie mixes, Chex cereal (for homemade Chex mix)
- Canned foods: soup, broth, vegetables & fruits, spaghetti sauce
- Holiday Must Have Foods: turkey, canned pureed pumpkin, stuffing mix, boxed potatoes, gravy mixes, ready-to-bake rolls, frozen pies, cranberry sauce, gelatin, marshmallows
- Seasonal Produce: apples, beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, celery, cranberries, kiwis, lemons, oranges, pears (Anjou & Comice), potatoes, pumpkin, squash, yams
- Halloween Clearance: door decorations, spider webs, candy bowls, yard & outdoor props, plates, cups, napkins & tablecloths, window clings, pumpkin carving kits, streamers, confetti, string lights, Halloween candy-alternatives to stretch next year’s candy bowl supply. Also party favors like: spider rings, erasers, plastic fangs, pencils, bookmarks, stickers, and bouncy balls. Costumes: Generic items ie: witch hats, gloves, tiaras/ crowns, play swords, pet costumes, capes & cloaks, fangs, and fairy wings.
- Black Friday/ Cyber Monday: Deep savings on doorbusters and advertised items ranging from clothing and toys to electronics and appliances.
- Seasonal clearance: rakes, outdoor furniture, bikes
- Holiday Dinner: egg nog, deli platters, instant potatoes, gravy mixes, Rhodes rolls, frozen pies, cranberry sauce, Jello, marshmallows
- Baking: flour, sugar, butter, cream, cake mixes, brownie mixes, muffin mixes, breads, pie crusts, marshmallows, whipped cream
- Canned foods: soup, broth, condensed milk, vegetables, fruits, spaghetti sauce
- Clearance: All your Thanksgiving decorations, extra table settings, and turkey carving products.