Gather your loose change and prepare for a whole lot of monetary fun! With this tactile challenge for elementary schoolers, your child will learn the value of money and practice adding & subtracting the various coin denominations. All you will need is a little change to prepare this math practice for your child. This activity is also a great opportunity to introduce the concept of an allowance – or perhaps even to have your little one start a savings account.
2nd Grade Math Activities: Loose Change
What You Need:
- Plastic Cups (at least 4 and as many as 8)
- Lots of loose change
What You Do:
- Have your child randomly distribute the change in the cups. Make sure there are varying amounts of change in the different cups.
- Then, have him write different monetary values on the cups.
- Now, challenge your money master to make change.
- He should dump out the change that’s in each cup and figure out which coins he needs to remove in order to put the correct amount of money back in the cups.
- Once he’s finished, go over his work by checking each cup to see if he made the right change.